October 11, 2017

The Must Haves to Begin Stitching

One of the things I enjoy doing as the weather gets colder and I'm forced inside is cross-stitching. It's simple to do, I don't have to do it all at once, and the results are beautiful. Some people may thing I'm old fashioned but for me it's a great way to spend my time. If this is a hobby you'd like to try here are a list of tools you should invest in to get started.

  • Cloth - a good cloth is essential. I tend to work on white but there are a lot of other options out there depending on what your preference is.
  • Thread - I like to keep a variety of colors on hand. There are standards, like black and white, that you should always have but it's fun to have a good selection of colors to work with.
  • Hoop - a wood (or plastic) hoop is not essential but it sure does make the job easier. I like a mid-size hoop that I can hold in one hand but you may like larger or smaller depending on the project.
  • Needles - again, I like to have a bunch. I tend to leave one needle on each color of thread so that I don't have to spend as much time threading needles. One is enough but the more the marrier as far as I'm concerned.
  • Scissors - I have a small pair that locks closed that I keep in my needlework bag. Something that either locks closed or has a cover (or both) is ideal but any sharp scissors will work.
Well, for me that's the basic kit. Once you have that you just need a pattern, or to design your own. You may already have most of these things around the house but if you don't you can buy pre-packaged kits to get you started. Happy Stitching! I can't wait to show you my finished project in a few weeks.

No comments :

Post a Comment